OrCAD Capture - 17.2-2016 Release
- Design Difference Viewer: New feature to perform logical and graphical comparisons between two designs, two schematic folders or two schematic pages and view the difference report in the form of a portable HTML format. (Watch Demo Video)
- Advanced Annotation: The new advanced annotation feature lets users annotate multiple schematic pages at a time giving them complete control over their component annotation process in the design cycle. (Watch Demo Video)
- Open Demo Design: The new Open Demo Design browser gives access to more than 150 demo designs made available from different locations, collated together to help users better understand Capture, Capture CIS and Capture _ PSpice Flow.
- Export - Import XML: OrCAD Capture provides you the capability to convert Capture designs to XML format and vise-versa based on the requirement.
- ISCF Export : Introducing direct ISCF (Intel Schematic Connectivity Format) feature for automating Intel-based design reviews to export hierarchical schematic designs in an Intel-approved format helping users optimize the design review process.
- PDF Export: The new PDF export functionality lets users export Capture design as PDF file and provides intelligent design information.
- Extended Preferences setup: The extended Preferences Setup window allows you to modify additional application settings in OrCAD Catpure like Command Shell, design and libraries, design rule check, CIS, NetGroup, NetList and Schematic.
OrCAD 16.6-2015 Release
Support for launching Lite in Licensed environment – Capture and all other OrCAD tools can be launched in the lite mode in licensed environment. The license selector dialog box provides the option to the user to select the lite mode for tool launch.
OrCAD Capture - 16.6 QIR#6
- Windows 8.1 Support: OrCAD is officially supported on Windows 8.1
- Rapid PSpice Model Association: Capture now supports instance-level, PSpice model assignment directly to components in the schematic editor.
- PSpice Library Search: Capture now provides an easy method to search through the installed library of simulation models / parts using PSpice Part Search.
- Capture View-Only Mode: New view-only mode allows any project / schematic files to be opened for review without consuming a license.
- Redefined Quick Place Menu: The Capture Place > PSpice Component menu has been updated with new items and sub-menus including; PSpice Ground, common discrete components, and new sources.
OrCAD Capture - 16.6 QIR#4
- Display Properties Update: New display property option to display a value only if a value exists. Useful for commonly displayed properties like tolerance where you would not want to display the property name if a value does not exist.
- Capture View only Mode: Allows Capture to be opened in read-only mode and does not check out a license. Accessible through command line switch capture.exe -viewer
- Zero Pin Mechanical Parts: Mechanical parts with no pins like bar-codes, fiducials and mechanical holes can now be placed on the schematic and synced with the PCB
- SI Flow Updates: The Capture SI flow now supports Sigrity products as well as OrCAD PCB SI
OrCAD Capture - 16.6 QIR#3
- Object Alignment: Support for horizontal and vertical alignment of objects on a group or signal object level. New alignment toolbar added as well.
- Object Distribution: Select and distribute objects evenly or horizontally.
- Library Refresh: If libraries are updated outside Capture during an active session users can now perform a library refresh to display the updated information
- Schematic Page Name Property in Titleblock: Titleblock now supports a new system property "Page Name". The "Page Name" property behaves like the "Schematic Name" property available in previous releases. Any change to the page name automatically synchronizes and updates the value of the property.
- SI Flow Update (XNet View): Users can now easily view a filtered list of defined XNets in the current design. View provides data on the XNet included the flatnets that make up the XNets.
- New NetGroup Display Options: Can now set NetGroup to display the definition of the NetGroup only if the name of the NetGroup is different from the NetGroup instance.
OrCAD Capture - 16.6 QIR#2
- Common Property Text Justification: You can now justify comment text and the text of displayed properties of any Capture object, such as Parts, Off Page Connectors, and Ports.
- Tcl Updates: New Tcl scripting API updates are available for variant customized variables in the titleblock, visibility control on NetGroup alias, and access to project libraries.
- Design Date Format Options: Two new options for data format display
- Convert Views: Convert Views supported in PCB Editor netlisting
OrCAD Capture - 16.6
- Capture – PCB SI Integration and Flow: With product integration comes a new bi-directional schematic entry/signal integrity flow that allows electrical engineers to explore circuit topologies, develop constraints, and analyze signal integrity.
- Quick-Place for Common Components: A new menu, Place >PSpice Component, enables quick-place for commonly used schematic or simulation components. The menu items list of components is user-configurable and has been pre-populated with PSpice® simulation devices (passive, discrete, sources, digital).
- User-Configurable Menus and Toolbars: Menus, toolbars, and icons in OrCAD Capture, PSpice Advanced Analysis, and Model Editor can now be customized. This makes it possible to run any Tcl method or script from the menus.
- Enhancements to the Find Function: The Find function now allows searches for parts by value of a given property (e.g. Property Name=Value) or use of a regular expression as the search string. For example, to search for components with designators starting with C or R and followed by any number between 2 and 9, use the search string Part Reference=(C|R)[2-9].
- NetGroup Enhancements: The NetGroup use model is now aligned with the Bus use model for intuitiveness and consistency. Enhancements areas include: assign a NetGroup to a Bus, reorder pins in an unnamed NetGroup, add and remove pins from a NetGroup, visible NetGroup references, and find NetGroup references.
- Enhanced Save Function for Design and Library: Pages that are changed and need to be saved are now marked by an asterisk (*) in the Capture Project Manager. When a save is initiated, the marked pages are saved.
- Global Replace for OffPage: The Find and Replace dialog box (Edit> Global Replace) has a new option, OffPage Connector, to find and replace OffPage connectors.
- Preserve “User-Assigned” Designator: Reference designator management improvements now track the user-modified references and allow finer end-user control over managing the part references for the entire design. A reference designator can be interactively set as user-assigned through the newly added “User-Assigned” flag to preserve designators and references in conjunction with the Preserve Designator and Preserve User-Assigned Valid References in the Annotate window. Capture will also mark a reference designator as user-assigned if the reference is manually changed in Property Editor, manually changed in the schematic canvas, or changed by the board through back-annotation.
- Design Level Auto Reference: In addition to schematic-level annotation, design-level annotation is now available by selecting the Design Level option in the Miscellaneous tab of the Preferences dialog box. An option to preserve references when copying is also available.
- Browsing/Viewing Designs Created in Earlier Versions: Designs created using earlier versions of Capture can now be opened and viewed without requiring the design to be uprev’ed. Such designs only need to be uprev’ed when the design is actually saved.
- Closing All Tabs: Canvas tabs can now all be closed, or all but this tab closed with an RMB selection. Right-click on the tab and choose the appropriate option (Close, Close All Tabs, or Close All Tabs But This.
- Custom Design Rule Check (DRC): Though Tcl scripting, user-defined schematic and circuit checks can be created and added to the Capture DRC routines. Several R&D examples include checks for hanging wires, device pin mismatches, overlapping wires, reference prefix mismatches, port-pin mismatches, and shorted discrete parts.
- Project Save As Enhancements: While saving a project in 16.6, a project name that is different from the design name can be specified to mimic the manual process of copying/moving a product from one hard-drive location to another. Options include the ability to copy/move all referenced files, ensuring that all links are updated while saving.
- RefDes Support Alignment: Capture and CIS now handle references and designators in the same manner, eliminating the need for manual Reference Designator corrections in the CIS database and BOMs. CIS now supports all reference designator formats including as U2N, C1_R, C12-1, R7-TOP, MP_2V5_REF, and TP3V3_0. Also, the reference designator for multi-packages is consistent (e.g. MP_2V5_REF will be MP_2V5_REF not MP_2V5_REFA).
- Linking External Design Parts: Referenced parts of the external design can now be linked at the group or subgroup level.
- CIS Performance Increase: The overall performance for CIS operations, especially when dealing with very large databases or queries, has been significantly improved.
- Tcl Customization for CIS Explorer: CIS Explorer can be custom-configured with user-definable actions and capabilities. (For example, customized part placement checks can disable placement of an EOL part or provide a warning if part procurement has a long lead time). Query result rows can also be customized. (For example, rows can be highlighted blue for recommended parts or red for parts not recommended or allowed.)
- CIS Multi-Value Support: Any CIS field can now be set as multi-valued for component instances with numerous information or content sources (e.g. lists for multiple datasheets/application notes or multiple PSpice models for a component).
OrCAD Capture - 16.5
- Graphical Operation Locking (GOp): The GOp locking feature in Capture now allows you to lock the different parts of a schematic design. Lock objects on a page, folder, or even the complete design. This feature prevents inadvertently moving or deleting parts of a design that are locked. Designs requiring alteration will need to be unlocked before any changes are made.
- Placement Report: Generate a report of the X and Y locations of the placement of the parts on a schematic. This report, generated as a .CSV file, provides details of the parts including; Reference Designator, Part Name, Schematic Name, Sheet Number, File System Location of the Part Library, and X and Y co-ordinate location.
- Find Results Report: After executing the Find command on a design, generate a report for the results from the command. By running the Find command to search for different types of objects in a design, the search results display in different tabs of the Find window, allowing you to export the data from each tab.
- Net Groups: OrCAD Capture introduces the concept of the NetGroup that allows you to create groups of nets. A NetGroup can include a group of scalar nets, vector nets, or a combination of both. Capture allows you to create Named NetGroups that can be used across a design or exported to other designs. Alternatively, for one-time use, you can create an Unnamed/Adhoc NetGroup. The new NetGroup Connector can be used to intelligently merge and tap out signals. It can also be used to generate net names for connected signals.
- CIS.INI Settings: While the Capture INI settings are always dynamic, the CIS settings are more or less static and usually do not change after the initial CIS database related setup. You may often need to clear out and reinitialize your Capture INI settings, but may still want to retain the CIS settings. To allow this, OrCAD 16.5 now retains the CIS INI settings in a separate back-up file. This file retains the CIS INI settings that Capture will retrieve when it re-initializes the Capture INI settings.
- Partial Design Simulation: The 16.5 release comes with the productivity enhancing feature of partial design simulation. You can now identify individual components of any design, and, using the partial design simulation feature, simulate only selected portions. Using this feature, you can simulate different circuits in the design with different simulation profiles. You can also netlist only a particular portion of the design. In addition, you can compare and merge portions of a design quickly.
OrCAD Capture - 16.3
- Auto Wiring: In complex designs containing a large number of parts, the task of wiring the parts together is often a time consuming and tedious task. Wiring multiple pins to a bus can also be a tedious and repetitive task. Capture now includes an Auto-Wiring feature that allows you to wire two or more pins or wires on your schematic page. To wire multiple points on your page, you simply need to select all the points and choose the available Auto Wiring options (Auto-Wire Two Points or Auto-Wire Multiple Points). Besides wiring multiple points on your page, you can also wire points to a bus using the Auto-Connect to Bus option.
- Associate Project Type: When you create a new project in Capture, you select the project type. After working on the project you may need to change the project type. For example, you may need to change the project type from Schematic to Analog or Mixed A/D type. Capture now includes the option to change the project type of any existing Capture project.
- Design Navigation Improvements: Capture 16.3 now allows you to create Intersheet references on flat designs, simple as well as complex hierarchical designs. Design navigation in Capture now also includes signal navigation feature to navigate the connected signals on a design. This feature allows you to select a signal that you want to trace Capture then browses for all the connected signals on the design. Finally, you can select and highlight the signals from the browse list.
- Wire Styling Options: You can now change the look and feel of a wire or a net on a schematic page by changing the color, line style or line width.
- Color Part: Capture now allows you to alter the look and feel of the block to change the color of a specific block in your design. You can even add a picture to the block that acts as a visual representation of the implementation below the block.
- Embedded Images: Now you can embed a large number of image types into a schematic page. The image types now supported by Capture include BMP, JPEG, GIF, PNG and TIFF.
- OLE Object Support: OLE Object support in Capture allows you to embed or link an object on your schematic page. The object types that you are allowed to embed or link are defined by the applications and files available on your computer. This feature allows you to annotate your schematic pages with any external data (information) that you need to enhance the usability and readability of your design.
- Bezier Curves & Elliptical Arcs: Capture now allows you to place elliptical arcs and multi-point bezier curves on your schematic pages.
- PCB Editor 3D Footprint Viewer: The PCB Editor 3D Footprint viewer provides a three dimensional view of the footprint symbol of a selected part on the schematic or the part editor. Along with the footprint symbol, the viewer also displays pin numbers and pin names. On the viewer, you can view a footprint from different perspectives: top, bottom, front, back, left, right and isometric (a 120° angle view). Besides viewing the footprint, you can also use the 3D measure tool to measure any distance across the footprint canvas and across the x, y or z axis on the canvas.
- User Defined Pin Shapes: You can now create your own pin shapes Capture. You then use these pin shapes when you create new part or if you want to edit the pins on an existing part. The pin you create can include any shape available in Capture including elliptical arcs and bezier curves.
- Scripting Support: The 16.3 release of Capture includes a scripting functionality that allows you to execute a Capture command through a command prompt. Capture also provides the facility to store and later replay the command.
- Locking Objects on Board & Schematics: The Capture - Allegro flow now includes an object locking feature. This feature allows you to temporarily lock and object on your schematic or board while you are cross-probing. This will help to avoid shifting (with the potential of breaking connectivity) of a component on the schematic or board during the cross-probe operation.
- Output Warnings Filter: During PCB netlist creation, you now have the option to ignore many electrical constraints such as; PROPAGATION_DELAY, RATSNEST_SCHEDULE, DIFFERENTIAL_PAIR, NET_SPACING_TYPE, etc.
- Power pin Enhancements: Capture now includes a new Assign Power Pins command that allows you define invisible power pins as NC pins. This ensures that you then only need to route the power pins that are not set as NC pins.
- Electrical Rules: The DRC check in Capture is now separated out between physical rules and electrical rules. So you can now choose to run design checks from the available physical and / or electrical rules.
- Check & Save: The new Check & Save option (available through the project manager File menu) allows you to run a DRC on the currently checked electrical rules in the DRC dialog. Since the DRC rules are defined by project, you need to define the electrical rules for a project and run the DRC check once on the current project. Subsequently, you can use this shortcut to execute the selected electrical DRC checks on the design.
OrCAD Capture - 16.2
- Usability enhancements
- Enhanced OrCAD Capture and PCB Editor integration
- Improved FPGA design-in functionality
- New annotation type option
- DRC enhancements
- Netlist enhancements
- L2A integration in OrCAD Capture
- User interface updates
- CIS RDBMS support
- CIS configuration file in XML format
- New ActiveParts Portal in ICA
OrCAD Capture - 16.0
- Place and move drawing objects on fine grid independent of connectivity objects
- Enhancements to archiving mechanism for PSpice model libraries
- Cadence Help
- Support for mechanical parts and assemblies in standard CIS BOM
OrCAD Capture - 15.7
- Controlled annotation of parts
- PSpice ground zero symbol
- Mouse wheel support
- New option to set the drag behavior
- New unit values in the signal flow properties UI
- Customize netlist formatter
- Descend hierarchy using the mouse button double-click
- Saving queries
- Version 11.0 of Crystal Reports
OrCAD Capture - 10.x
- 10.5 - Split part symbol generation enhancement
- 10.5 - Archiving enhancement
- 10.5 - Differential pairs between flat nets
- 10.5 - New part creation from spreadsheet
- 10.5 - Assigning signal flow properties to a bus
- 10.5 - Setting preferences for linking a placed part to a database part
- 10.5 - Viewing design variants information
- 10.3 - Split part symbol generation
- 10.3 - Signal property flow to PCB Editor
- 10.3 - Page navigation
- 10.3 - Replace cache with preserve reference designator
- 10.3 - Import the latest Xilinx and Altera formats
- 10.0 - Design-level property management
- 10.0 - Unlimited undo/redo
- 10.0 - Label states for what-if scenarios
- 10.0 - Enhanced support for simulation profiles
- 10.0 - New directory structure for analog projects
- 10.0 - Annotation improvements
- 10.0 - Soft save
- 10.0 - Automatic backup of designs
- 10.0 - Dynamic port/pin updates on hierarchical blocks
- 10.0 - File locking for team design
- 10.0 - Ability to run multiple versions of OrCAD Capture
- 10.0 - Printing and plotting enhancements
- 10.0 - Support for design reuse in OrCAD Layout
- 10.0 - Significant improvements in OrCAD Capture-Allegro PCB flow
- 10.0 - Push occurrence properties into instance utility
- 10.0 - Support for Xilinx Design Manager version 4.1 and 4.2 output files
- 10.0 - Improved EDIF 2.0.0 import/export functionality